Greetings from the Eastern hemisphere!
Last week, I traveled to spend the Lunar New Year with my family in Taiwan and will even manage to make a short stop in Hong Kong. Having traveled frequently, I’ve nailed down a packing routine for my travel bag essentials. Packing minimally and effectively can make a 16 hour flight or any trip abroad more tolerable and enjoyable. The following items will deliver you to your destination looking and feeling your best!
1. iPad (or Kindle) – The iPad is my main source of entertainment and reading material (aside from the in-flight movies that are usually provided). I make sure to download any books and magazines I want to read before the day of travel. TIP: Check your local library for downloadable e-books, audio books, magazines, etc. It’s a great way to help you budget when traveling!
2. Noise-canceling headphones – Trust me, you won’t know how great they are until you try them. Not only are they more comfortable than the headphones some airlines offer you, the noise-canceling capability helps to drown out the loud plane. These are amazing, but here’s a more affordable option.
3. Neck Pillow – GAME CHANGER. I always saw people lugging around these large neck pillows, thinking it was such a waste of space and inconvenience to carry on a flight. Man, was I wrong. It makes all the difference when trying to enjoy a bit of shut eye on long haul flights. I recently purchased the J Pillow. Just give it a chance.
4. Sleep Mask – Again, this will be a lifesaver while trying to sleep on the plane. You don’t have to worry about that guy next to you watching a movie marathon or that girl urgently reading The Fifty Shades of Grey series before she sees the movie.
5. Scarf – Flights are cold. You want to be prepared because sometimes that ratty blanket the airline provides just isn’t enough. My favorite is the Vinyasa Scarf because it can double as a blanket, shawl, etc. Watch the video on mastering the versatility of the scarf!
6. Socks – I’ll usually wear shoes that are easy to slip on and off, especially because my feet swell up so much by the end of the trip. To combat the chilly ride, I make sure to pack a pair of cozy socks.
7. Toiletries – Toothbrush, toothpaste and floss are a must. Make sure to remove any makeup when you get on the flight as it clogs your pores and will cause breakouts. I generally go naked face and will use a face wipe to cleanse before I decide to pass out. Then, I apply my skincare routine. If you’re not as crazy as me, just bring a mini bottle of Argan Oil to save space. It is a multipurpose product and can be used to nourish your skin, hair, and nails.
8. Snacks – Who else hates plane food? I don’t mind the taste as much as the effects of consuming the stuff. Don’t worry, I won’t go into more details. The food is also overflowing with sodium (will only dehydrate you more) and other icky stuff. No, thanks. I usually pack some fruit and nutrition bars. I’ve learned to eat less on flights to aid discomfort and fight jetlag.
9. Water Bottle – STAY HYDRATED! Because I’m an old Asian woman, I bring a hot water compatible bottle. The flight attendants are more than happy to refill it for your throughout the flight.
Hope this helps while you’re packing for your next getaway!